Born in 1936 and educated at St. Georges School, Harpenden where she designed books and book jackets. She then turned to full time painting and sculpture where she met her husband, the late Toby Horne Shepherd.
Since 1970 she has exhibited work in Munich, Paris, the Royal Scottish Academy and the Royal West of England Academy and in many shows throughout the UK.
She has had a number of solo exhibitions, the most recent being at the Hawker Gallery in Amersham in 2003.
She was elected to the ROI in 1973 and is a long term member of the Free Painters and Sculptors and the Society of Women Artists.
She has won many awards for her paintings including the prestigious Llewellyn Alexander Prize and the LeClerc Fowle Medal (ROI) 1999, plus the Aya Broughton Award (NS 1999 and 2003).
Toby Horne Shepherd
Born in Dundee in 1909 and educated at Harris Academy, he attended the Dundee School of Art from 1924-1926 and then Glasgow School of Art where, in 1927, he won a travelling scholarship and prizes for portrait and landscape.
In 1929 he took the Painting Diploma, winning a post-diploma scholarship, and became Assistant Art Teacher at Glasgow School of Art 1930-1932. He was also executing medical diagrams at about this time for the Glasgow Royal Infirmary
A series of portrait commissions brought him down to London in 1933, and he subsequently referred to these years as the most unsatisfactory period of his artistic life. He became a lecturer at Shoreditch Training College from 1937 until he joined the National Fire Service in 1941. He was appointed Senior Art Lecturer in 1947 and remained at Shoreditch until 1954. Thereafter he had a number of part-time teaching posts, including Ealing School of Art, St Martin’s School of Art and the Sir John Cass School of Art. He retired in 1974, somewhat reluctantly as he had always enjoyed teaching - and was indeed an inspiring teacher with an unrivalled ability to bring out the best in his students. He was also happy to be a student himself in later life, attending sculpture classes for some years; his stone and marble carvings display his superb feeling for form.
His remaining years were spent in West Sussex producing, as always, an amazing amount of work, but now mainly water-colours, drawings, monoprints etc. rather than oil paintings. He was an exceptionally fine figure draughtsman, and this is apparent even in his more abstract and adventurous work. Toby died in 1993.
Mike C. Leman
Born in 1936, Michael started training as a woodcarver in the early 50s working for Louis Koch and Son, antique furniture dealers. After a spell in the Air Force he graduated to modelling architectural ornament, sculptural projects and decorative restoration of historic buildings, working for Norman & Raymond, clay Modellers and wood carvers.
Art Schools attended were St Martins and Sir John Cass part-time, and City & Guilds full time for three years. He joined John McCarthy, sculptor/designer, in the mid 60s and for the next 25 years produced art works from coats of arms to abstract designs and murals, mainly for city banks, insurance companies etc., including light & water features which were mainly site specific. During these years he was a part-time lecturer at the Guildhall University, formerly Sir John Cass School of Art, teaching 3D design and sculpture.
Since moving to Rudgwick, West Sussex in 1993 he has been producing gallery work, figurative to abstract. For ten years he was President of the National Society of Painters, Sculptors and Printmakers, exhibiting twice yearly in London.